The VNA of South Central CT is unique in having a Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurse (WOCN) on staff. Our certified WOCN uses evidenced-based practice standards in relation to specific wound management issues, resulting in improved healing times, wound closure rates, and associated costs as well as fewer emergency room visits and fewer hospital readmissions.
Our WOCN makes sure our staff maintains a vast knowledge of the newest wound care products used to reduce pain, improve outcomes and decrease wound infections, collectively decreasing the need for emergent care due to deteriorating wound status.
For each patient referred to the VNA of South Central CT, we can provide:
- Assessment of a patient's wounds and comorbities
- Nutritional assessment in relation to wound healing
- Instruction in diabetic management to promote faster wound healing
- Education on pressure ulcer prevention
- Referrals to DME companies
- Referrals to community resources, such as wound care centers/clinics
- Patient and family teaching in regards to prevention of additional wounds